A Request Regarding Your Old Judaica Items
Whenever we clean out our houses, we often find old Judaica items. If you are planning on bringing a box of old Judaica to "donate" to Temple Beth El, please note the following:
1. Please only bring holy books and sacred items that should be buried. These include siddurim, haggadot, humashim, Talmud, a klaf from inside a mezuzah, sacred scrolls, tefillin, benchers, and talleisim.
2. Please only bring the aforementioned items if they are in poor condition and should be buried. We do not need anything for our shelves. Usable items should stay in your home!
3. In general, only books that contain God's Unspeakable Name **in Hebrew** (yud-hay-vav-hay, the shem hameforash, a.k.a. the Tetragrammaton) are considered holy, as are Hebrew commentaries. Translations, old Hebrew school textbooks, books about Jewish history, fiction, etc. can be thrown away.
4. The only donations we want for the library are brand new books of Jewish interest.
5. Please do not bring us your old kippot. We have no use for them, and they are not sacred items. You may throw them away.
6. Please do not bring us your old candlesticks, seder plates, and kiddush cups. We simply do not have room for them.
We appreciate your desire to donate items to Temple Beth El. Having said that, please remember that this is a small building and we have no room for your unwanted Judaica. Again, only bring items that need to be buried.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.